Thursday, February 11, 2016

President's Day Resources and FREEBIE

Today I was blessed with our second snow day of the school year.  Not only that, but it came on the perfect day too!  We were already scheduled to be off tomorrow due to parent teacher conferences and Monday is President's Day...HELLO FIVE DAY WEEKEND!  I decided that, while the rest of my weekend can be about rest and relaxation, today and tomorrow were going to be productive, so I sat down to begin planning out my lessons for next week.

With President's Day being Monday, this is perfect time to dive in deep and learn about our country, American symbols and a few of our presidents.  There's something about a good history lesson that let's my inner nerd come out.  I am in no way, shape or form an expert - if fact, I'm far from it - but history fascinates so it's always fun to talk about these subjects with my students.  :)

Here are few things I'm using this week!

First up is my Whole Group Shared Reading Week 24 set!  This set is perfect to not only hit sight words and reading skills, but to discuss American symbols! 


Here is what's included in this set: a color version of the story plus a black and white smaller version for students, an American symbols sort and worksheet, a presidential mixed up sight word activity and flip book that focuses on the -an family!


Second, I'll be using my newest emergent readers!  I used my snow day to create three new emergent readers that focus on some of our most influential presidents!


These readers will be PERFECT to introduce the presidents to my Kinders!  To look at individual readers click on each link below!




Last up, we will be reading Grace for President by Kelly DiPucchio.  Have you read it? 


 It's this sweet story about a little girl named Grace who wants to be the country's very first woman president, but she has to win her class election first.  Is she the best person for the job?

After reading, we will be doing some writing about what makes a good president.  I created this little FREEBIE writing prompt if you would like to join in on the fun!  There are two versions - use whatever works for your kiddos!  Click on either picture for both forms!




I hope this gives you a few ideas and resources to use next week!  Happy long weekend! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment