Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Guided Reading Set Up

Tonight, it's all about GUIDED READING!  Yes, I'm using all caps, because I AM THAT EXCITED!  Guided Reading is by far my favorite part of the day.  Getting that small group time to really interact and see where students are with their reading is exciting to me.  I have to admit, I didn't always feel this way.  My first year teaching Kindergarten, I was petrified.  I remember asking a colleague, "What if I can't teach them to read?!"  As educators, we are given this daunting task of teaching children how to read.  To READ! Something that will impact their life FOREVER!  Scary!  During that first year, and into my second, I worked, read, studied, observed, changed and modified how I did guided reading.  I'm still changing!  The thing is, I'm no longer petrified.  Oh, I am scared sometimes.  There are still students who I think, "Oh will I be able to help them?"  But I think a little fear is good.  It keeps us striving for more.  Thankfully, the petrified feeling has left and has been replaced with one of excitement.  Excitement to see where my kids can go, and what they will be able to do at the end of the year.  The progress they will make, big or small, is what I think of now.  

While guided reading is my favorite part of the day, I know it is also some of my students' favorite part as well.  The smiles I see when I call students to my table is uplifting.  They want to be called!  They want to practice reading!  I often have students who are too shy to raise their hand and share an answer in a large group setting, but come to me eager to share in small group.  I love that they feel comfortable in our safe space to do that.  My guided reading area is exactly that - a safe space.  A place to try new things, a place to make mistakes, a place to practice skills, and a place where you can feel supported, not judged.  

When I began setting up my classroom for the new school year, I knew that my guided reading area, along with my classroom library, would the first areas I set up.  Earlier in the summer I wrote about my plans for organizing my guided reading area....well here is the mostly finished product!  


I can't wait!  Everything is here, at my fingertips to help differentiate and follow the lead of my students!  I have my cube shelf from Target all put together (I did it myself!) with my cubes full of different materials.  



You can get your own copies of these FREE labels in my TPT store by clicking the link below!  I just updated them with a label for phoneme segmentation materials!


I have some of the things I use every day/week on top of the shelf for easy access including pens, my bell and wand, differentiation dice, white boards, magnetic letters, letter beads, mini pointers and funny glasses!  I will be doing more posts throughout the year with how I use these different materials in my guided reading lessons!





I hope you enjoy these teasers pictures of my classroom!  I will be posting more as my classroom starts looking a little cleaner....

XOXO,

Racheal

No comments:

Post a Comment