Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Wordless Wednesday!

Today I am linking up with Sugar and Spice for Wordless Wednesday!  Sometimes a picture just says it all right?! 



Well this picture perfectly describes what is going on in my mind lately!  ORGANIZATION and THINKING OUTSIDE OF THE BOX!!! 


I priced a shelf and some storage cubes at Target over the weekend and I'm trying to decide how to best organize my guided reading materials so that they are on hand when I need them.  I DO NOT like searching for something "I just knew was there...".  Besides, Kindergarteners are always so patient while they wait right?  :)  Therefore, my plan is to have everything readily available in case I want to switch gears or take a child's lead during small group!  How do you organize guided reading materials!  Leave me a comment and let me know!  I need some inspiration!  

XOXO,

Racheal



4 comments:

  1. Yay for organization! :) I keep a book bin and a basket for each guided reading group. One basket houses our new books for the week. The other basket houses books we've already read for rereading and fluency practice. Each group has a different color set of baskets. :) Thanks for linking up! Miss DeCarbo at Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I have color coded baskets for each group as well! I like the idea of a separate basket for fluency and rereading! Thanks for sharing!!!

      Delete
    2. Hi Racheal, I have large plastic bin for each level of books I own (starting at A, then up through an E/F bin.) I use the white plastic Sterlite ones with little round holes around the sides- cheap and the right size to file the books upright, each title held with a rubberband. I have a smaller bin right beside me to hold the books I will be using in my groups the next time we meet, or sometimes the next two times– I don't plan GR too far ahead as I want to be able to follow the needs of each group with the next book we read. I also write the title of the next book on my planning sheet for that group. We read a book, I collect it back, we read and do our word work with it the next day, then I give them the book to keep in their book baggies. Book baggies are ziploc style bags, labeled with their name, and kept in a plastic magazine style box (the upright kind) that matches their table color. That way when it is time to read their known books, they are only looking in a box that has four other book baggies in it. I have never used the system of one magazine box for each kid's books because I don't have the space for 20+ magazine boxes on a shelf, but I do have room for four or five to match each table. I let kids max out at about eight books in the baggie before I refresh. There is plenty of room for five or six ziplocs with between 2-8 books at any given time. The system is very doable for me and the kids. I haven't had time to link up as this is my last week! This lengthly comment is as close as I get to a post... hope it helps. I plan on posting on the system at some point. Take care, and have fun at Target! Kathleen at Kidpeople Classroom

      Delete
  2. Love Guided Reading organization! I redo every year! Wendy 1stgradefireworks 1stgradefireworks

    ReplyDelete