Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pirates and Princesses!!!

Hello all!  This week we were able to start our summer school rotations and I am so excited!  During summer school, we participate in what we call 'rotations'.  For three days, I get to have another first grade class for an hour in the morning.  After those three days, I get a different class, then another, then another, so - by the end of summer school - I have had a chance to spend time with each class!  So fun!  My 'theme' for rotations is Pirates and Princesses!  

We spend the first of our three days talking about pirates!  We read How I Became a Pirate by David Shannon, made pirate hats, received pirate names, and practiced -ar words!  So fun!

For day two, it's princess time!  Some of the boys were less than thrilled!  :)  We read The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch, made crowns, discussed the different characteristics of fairy tales, and practiced using our royal manners by bowing and curtsying.  Most of the kiddos labeled their crowns with Prince ____, Princess _____, King _____, or Queen _____.  One of my boys that wasn't especially thrilled made the one below.  It says "I don't like the princesses."  Hilarious!

  

For our third and final day, the kiddos each get to choose a puppet to make - a pirate girl, pirate boy, king or queen.  The patterns are from makinglearningfun.com and the paper towel tubes are from our wonderful custodian who saved them all year!!!!  How cute are these?!  Since the puppets take most of our time, we usually wrap up with an additional pirate or princess story!  I really like The Night Pirates by Peter Harris and There Was an Odd Princess Who Swallowed a Pea by Jennifer Ward.  I love getting to spend time with the other classes!  It's a great way to get to know the students and have a little fun!  



Happy summer!

XOXO,

Racheal

No comments:

Post a Comment